CATCHING THE FIXED ROUTE BUS AND BUS RULES
In the majority of the system, it is necessary to catch the bus by standing at a red, white and blue HARTransit bus stop sign. Be ready at least 5 minutes before the bus is due to arrive.
Flag stops are allowed under normal conditions in the following portions of the system only:
- Deer Hill Avenue in Danbury.
- Hillside Avenue, Sunny Valley Road, Dodd Road and Old Park Lane in New Milford and on Federal Road between Junction and Silvermine Roads in Brookfield and in areas of road construction on Route 7.
- Route 7 south of the Danbury Mall.
- On any buses traveling in New York State.
To board in an area where flag stops are in effect, stand near the curb and wave to the bus. Do not wait on a curve, next to a right-turn lane, or on the opposite side of the street from the bus.
Drivers are not authorized to stop for passengers flagging down the bus where bus stop signs are installed, unless the system is on snow routes.
Bicycles may be carried on buses equipped with bike racks. Standard bicycles are not permitted inside HARTransit Vehicles. Folding bicycles, as long as the passenger maintains control over them, are permitted inside vehicles.
Service animals are welcome on HARTransit vehicles. Other animals may be transported on HARTransit vehicles in cages or carriers designed for that purpose. Cardboard boxes are not acceptable containers for live animals on HARTransit vehicles. HARTransit drivers cannot help passengers carry animals.
Any mobility aid, such as a walker, wheelchair or scooter is permitted on a HARTransit bus. All HARTransit vehicles can transport a wheelchair up to 600 pounds when occupied. The driver will assist you in entering the vehicle through the lift or ramp, and secure your wheelchair. You may use the lift or ramp if you have a mobility impairment even if you are not in a wheelchair.
If you are in a wheelchair and would like to transfer to a seat, the driver will assist you. Transfer to a seat is recommended if boarding with a scooter. Passengers seated on scooters may be injured in a sudden stop or accident.
The Housatonic Area Regional Transit District reserves the right to deny bus service to anyone who habitually abuses the service; whose conduct on board vehicles interferes with the safe operation of the vehicle; who disrupts vehicle scheduling; who behaves in a way that is offensive to other passengers and interferes with and/or disturbs the operations of the vehicle, or otherwise violates HARTransit policies.
Specific passenger activities prohibited while on HARTransit vehicles include:
- Engaging in illegal activity.
- Acting in a manner threatening to the safety of drivers or passengers or engaging in seriously disruptive or objectionable behavior that interferes with and/or disturbs the operation of the vehicle.
- Smoking, carrying a lighted cigar, cigarette, cigarillo or pipe, use of any spark, flame, match or fire producing device.
- Possession of open containers of alcohol or other liquids.
- Consumption of food or drink.
- Playing of audio or video devices without earphones.
- Entering or riding a vehicle while intoxicated or under the influence of illegal drugs.
- Lack of shirt, pants or shoes or clothing in a condition objectionable to other passengers.
- Carrying gasoline, kerosene or other flammable liquids.
- Obstructing, jumping from, or riding upon the steps of a HARTransit vehicle while the vehicle is in motion or standing.
- Defacing or damaging HARTransit property.
In accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, HARTransit operates its programs without regard to race, color and national origin.
HARTransit has an established process in place to deal with complaints of discrimination. For more information about HARTransitís obligations under the Title VI, or if you have a complaint, contact HARTransitís Director of Service Development at 203-744-4070 at the HARTransit office.